Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Brisket! In the Smoker!

Go to Texas and ask for BBQ, you'll get brisket. This chest muscle from the cow is cooked low and slow for hours. Done right it practically melts in your mouth. This is my version.

I started with a seven pound flat cut. I cut off a small piece to cook separately so it could go in the baked beans later. Along with bacon. But that's another post.

The morning after.
The night before, I trimmed most of the fat off and applied my rub. This was based on Amazing Ribs' Big Bad Beef Rub, but I add freshly toasted and ground coriander. And maybe one or two other things. Then several injections of low sodium beef stock and the brisket was ready to be wrapped and refrigerated for the night. I also put some hickory, mesquite, and pecan wood chunks in water to soak for the next day.


The next morning I took the brisket (and the extra piece) out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature. While I was waiting I prepared the smoker. By the time the smoker was up to 225°F the meat was close to room temperature. So in it went and I tossed some soggy wood chunks in the fire box.

The next four hours consisted of adding wood chunks when the smoke died down. And making sure the temperature was 225° to 250°.

Crutch time.
After about four hours the brisket was at 150°. Time for the crutch.

I put the brisket in an aluminum pan with some more beef stock and a couple of bottles of Guinness Black Lager. Covered tightly with aluminum foil it went into a 225° oven to finish.

Yes, I said it went in the oven. What's the point of tending a fire when the meat is covered and won't get any more smoke?

Now that's some meaty goodness.
So after another five hours the brisket was at a comfortable 205°. I put the pan in the warm zone on the stove top while Annie made the baked beans. After about an hour resting (the brisket, not me), I sliced it.

So when all was said and done, the brisket cooked for nine hours plus one hour resting. It came out perfect. Tender and juicy, just what you want.

Beef juice cubes!
Speaking of juicy, I had quite a bit of cooking juices left over in the pan. I cooked it down a little bit on the stove and drizzled some over the sliced brisket. The rest of the beefy juice I put in ice trays and froze for later. You know, one of these beef cubes might be just the thing for a Bloody Mary...

No comments:

Post a Comment